- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 large onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 large beets, peeled and shredded
- 3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 large russet potato, peeled, cut into cubes
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh scallions for garnish
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream, for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
- turkey meatballs
Ingredients for Turkey Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground turkey meat
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Direction for Turkey Meatballs:
Add the onion, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper to a large bowl and blend. Mix in the turkey. Shape the turkey mixture into 1 inch-diameter meatballs.
Place on a large plate or baking sheet.
Direction for Borscht:
In large saucepan, simmer the beets, carrots, onion, tomato puree, vinegar, sugar and two cups of broth for 15 minutes. Stir frequently and cover when not stirring.
Add remaining 6 cups broth, cabbage, potato; bring to boil. Stir in meatballs, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender and meatballs are cooked, about 20 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into serving bowls, and garnish with sour cream and fresh scallions.