- 6 medium ripe tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice, medium-grain
- 1/2 lb. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 Tbsp. white wine
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat an oven to 350F.
Slice the top from each tomato and reserve. Scoop out pulp with a spoon and set aside. (You can use it later for tomato sauce or soup).
Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, onion and mushrooms and sauté until begin to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add cooked rice, white wine, season with spices, and add salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes longer. Mix in the mayonnaise.
Fill tomatoes with the rice mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Replace tops of tomatoes and arrange stuffed tomatoes in a baking dish (roasting pan). Bake, uncovered, until tomatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Serve hot or cold.