- 1 lb. chicken meat, either ground or skinned, boned, and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 egg
- 3-4 Tbsp. chopped scallions
- salt and freshly groung pepper
For the soup:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 5-6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- chives, chopped
Place chicken, ginger, egg, seasonings and scallions in a food processor bowl. Mix until the mixture becomes a coarse paste. Form dumplings by gently rolling chicken mixture in cupped hands to create balls, approximately 1/2” in diameter.
In a large sauce pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the potatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Then cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Once the soup base has cooked down for 15 minutes, bring the temperature back up to a boil. Then drop the prepared chi chin dumplings into the soup. Simmer 10 minutes, until the chicken and dumplings are cooked through. Add some chopped chives and serve hot or warm.