Eggplant, garlic, mushrooms, peas and onions are the primary ingredients of this easy side dish. Combine them with olive oil and herbs for a wonderful saute and serve with any type of meat or just like that with fried egg on the top.
- 1 large eggplant or 2 medium (about 1½ pounds), firm and shiny, ends trimmed, cut into ¾-inch chunks1 sm. onion, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 fried egg
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat, and saute the eggplants with onions and mushrooms for about 10 minutes, stir often, until vegetables are browned and soft.
Add peas and simmer for 5- 10 more minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, salt and pepper to the pan and stir. Let it simmer with the eggplants for about a minute or two.
To serve, top with parsley and fried egg.