Prepared ahead of time and chilled, this pâté makes an excellent luncheon or buffet dish sliced thick and served on bread of your choice or on lettuce leaves. Serve it with Fig Preserves.
Chicken Liver Pâté with Mushrooms and Sage served with Fig Preserves
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lb chicken livers, trimmed of membranes and connective tissue
- 1lb mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, cubed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup red vine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, if needed
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- sage for garnish
- fig preserves for serving
- bread of your taste
In a large frypan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, and mushrooms, and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until lightly fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken livers, season with salt, and stir to coat with the oil. Then add the wine and let the alcohol bubble away for about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and cook the livers gently, turning occasionally, until they are a deep, rich brown on the outside and no longer pink inside, 10 to 15 minutes.
Using a food processor, process the mixture until it is a thick paste, adding a little chicken broth if it is too stiff and dry. Blend in the butter, stirring until it has melted into the pâté. Season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with sage.