A filling Spicy Bean Soup made with two kinds of beans and lentil flavored with cumin. Hot, spicy, and richly flavored, this is a substantial soup that is perfect for a cold winter evening. Serve with homemade Sun-dried Tomato Bread with Onions.
Spicy Bean Soup (Potage Tour D'argent)
- 6 ounces/1 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 6 ounces/1 cup dried kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 /2 cup dry lentil, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 fluid ounces/ ¼ cup red wine
- 2 pints/ 5 cups Meat Stock
- 8 fluid ounces/ 1 cup water
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- For the garnish chopped fresh herbs
Put the black beans and kidney beans plus lentil in two separate pans with cold water to cover and a bay leaf in each. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add 3 tablespoons coarse salt to each pan and continue simmering for 30 minutes, until the beans are tender. Drain.
Heat the oil in a large, heavy flameproof casserole. Add the carrots, onions, celery, and garlic and cook over low heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring, until softened. Stir in the cumin, cayenne, and oregano and season with salt to taste.
Add the red wine, meat stock, and water and stir to mix all the ingredients together. Remove the bay leaves from the cooked beans and discard, then add the beans to the casserole.
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, then cover and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Transfer half the soup (including most of the solids) to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Return to the pan and stir to combine well.
Reheat the soup and adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve hot, garnished with chopped herbs.