A good mushroom soup makes the most of the subtle and sometimes rather elusive flavor of mushrooms. white mushrooms are used here for there pale color; cremini or, better still, portabello mushrooms give a fuller flavor but turn the soup dark brown. Mushroom, Leek with Yellow Cauliflower Soup is a delicious and nutritious soup, which should be served with crusty bread.
Mushroom, Leek Soup with Yellow Cauliflower
- 1/2 head yellow or white cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 leeks, (white parts only) thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb. white button mushrooms brushed clean and coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp thyme, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth (more if need it)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Madeira wine (optional)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- parmesan cheese for serving
In a stockpot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add button mushrooms, garlic and thyme, and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the Madeira and cook until the liquid has evaporated about 2 minutes. Stir in the vegetable broth and cauliflower. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15-20 minutes.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth, then return the soup to the pot. Stir in the almond milk and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Garnish with parmesan cheese and thyme. Serve immediately.