Appetizers/ Fish & Seafood

Salmon Tartare with Sesame Crackers in Blue Ice

Salmon is such a versatile fish and makes an expensive but impressive dish to prepare for family and friends. You can, of course, buy ready-made sashimi from local Japanese restaurant, but I think making salmon tartare yourself is what makes this dish special. You can serve it on a plate using a pastry ring, or serve in glasses on ice for more sophisticated look. I colored regular ice with blue food coloring for “blue ocean” effect.

Salmon Tartare 3

Note: For this dish you must make sure that you use only fish that is extremely fresh, so find a good fish store or large market.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 4 Tbsp. butter, very soft
  • 1 egg white
  • sesame seeds
  • dry seaweed (optional)

Directions:

To make the sesame crackers: mix together the flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the egg white into the flour mixture using a spoon. Stir until smooth. Whisk in the soft butter until the mixture is smooth.

Preheat oven to 375F.  Spread about one teaspoon of batter over baking tray making a small round. Repeat to fill the space on tray. Sprinkle each rounds of batter with sesame seed and/or seaweed flakes and bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

To make a salmon tartare: Combine the diced salmon, chives, dill, lemon zest, soy sauce and olive oil in a medium bowl and stir gently with a spoon to combine. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.

Spoon the salmon in glass and place it on blue ice. Serve with the sesame crackers.

Salmon Tartare 4

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

Eric Pepple
    April 29, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Wow what a beautiful presentation! Love the sound of this tartar, sounds really refreshing 🙂

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

Rosa's Yummy Yums
    April 29, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Prettily presented and ever so tasty sounding!

Cheers,

Rosa

La Table De Nana
    April 29, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I love this..and don't even like salmon tartare..but my girls and their husbands do..And wow.:)!
    The crackers are so delicate and beautiful like stained glass..and that ice..!
    I think I will have to knock their socks off with this one time:)

La Table De Nana
    April 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I can't even Pin it because my girls follow me..
    I want it to be a surprise..Let's hope they don't Foodgawk or Tastespot this week:)

Medeja
    April 29, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Salmon is my favorite fish, but I have never tried it this way. Looks wonderful! Ok..everything what you make looks wonderful 🙂

Nami | Just One Cookbook
    April 29, 2013 at 11:52 pm

I love everything about this recipe (and food styling)!!! Sesame crackers may not make it for garnishing if you let me bake it… They will be all gone in a few minutes after it came out of the oven! So easy and so pretty. Pinning to several boards to keep this great dish! 😀

Monica
    April 30, 2013 at 12:06 pm

That is a great restaurant-worthy looking dish! I love salmon tartare, and homemade sesame crackers are a huge bonus.

Peggy G.
    April 30, 2013 at 3:49 pm

This is gorgeous! And I'm sure it's absolutely tasty, as well!

Anonymous
    May 1, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I love salmon and tartare. Yours look incredible, especially with the blue ice. I have never thought of coloring the ice. That is very creative. I am trying your recipe next week.