When I hear about mix of ricotta cheese with lemon, I start drooling-)) This cake has everything and more: it is flour-less with almond meal, so you don’t have to feel guilty after a few slices. It is very moist and not too sweet. It is also lemony and has crunchy top. You can not ask for anything else, it is a perfection itself! I love to have slice of this cake for breakfast with cup of fresh brewed coffee. Bake it the night before so in the morning you have a great treat to start your day.
- 8 Tbsp. (120g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/4 cup lemon zest ( I used 2 large Meyer lemons)
- lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 4 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 2 1/2 cups (240g) almond meal
- 10 1/2 oz. (300g) ricotta
- flaked almonds, for the top
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
Line one 9×2-inch cake pan with parchment paper. At least 20 minutes before baking, position an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 325F (160C).
Place the butter, sugar, vanilla seeds and lemon zest in an electric mixer bowl and beat together until light and pale in color. Add the lemon juice, and mix well. Then add the egg yolks one at the time, beating well each time to ensure the mixture is smooth and creamy. Fold the almond meal and ricotta.
In another bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff, and then gently fold into ricotta mixture.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, level of the surface, sprinkle with flaked almonds, and then place in the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes. Leave to cool in a pan for 10 minutes before turning the cake onto a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, then cut the warm cake into wedges and serve.