- 1 cup whole grain spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice (OR: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ginger)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Chia/flax egg: 1 tbsp ground chia seeds + 3 tbsp water OR 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water, mixed and set aside for 5 mins
- 1/2 cup regular oats
- 1 cup shredded or grated carrots (approx 2 medium)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, mix the chia/flax egg and set aside. In a large sized bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients. Using a food processor or grater, process/grate the carrots. In a medium sized bowl mix together the wet ingredients (carrots, vanilla, oil, maple syrup, and chia/flax egg). Add wet to dry and mix until just incorporated. Stir in the walnuts and raisins. Scoop mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or greased with oil. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 25 minutes at 350F.
Nutritional info: (Per cookie, Approx) 265 kcals, 9 grams fat, 1 gram sat. fat, 5 grams fibre, 4.4 grams protein, 61% vitamin A, 10% iron, 59 mg calcium, 180 mg potassium.