- 2 pounds lamb shanks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 1/2 Tbs. fresh cilantro leaves
Quinoa, a tiny, nutritious seed native to the Andes, is high in protein and loaded with niacin, iron, phosphorus and potassium. The cooked seeds are crunchy and nutty, the perfect background for dried fruits and toasted nuts.
Ingredients for Quinoa:
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed thoroughly in a sieve and drained well
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Directions for Quinoa:In a large, deep fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil until a quinoa seed dropped into it sizzles upon contact.
Add the quinoa and cook, stirring, until the seeds are separate and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and carrots cook for 3 minutes until fragrant. Add the water and salt.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes.
Uncover and continue to cook until any excess moisture is cooked off, about 1 minute.
Transfer the lamb shanks and the quinoa to individual plates and garnish with the celantro. Serve immediately.