Celeriac and Spinach Soup with Baked Kale Chips – it can’t get healthier than that!
Celery Root, also known as Celeriac, has mild aroma and flavor of celery and walnuts with a crisp texture perfect julienned or sliced into salads and soups or braised in broth and butter.
Here, it is combined with spinach to make a delicious soup
Stay warm and healthy! And have a good winter-)
Celeriac and Spinach Soup with Baked Kale Chips
- Ingredients for the soup:
- 1 ¾ pints/ 4 cups of water
- 8 fluid ounces/1 cup dry white wine
- 1 leek, thickly sliced
- 1 ¼ pounds celeriac, diced
- 7 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and ground black pepper
- baked kale chips to garnish
- Ingredients for the kale chips:
- about one bunch of kale, rinsed and dried, torn into bite-sized pieces and tough stems removed
- olive oil
- salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp wine vinegar
Direction for the kale chips:
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
Lay on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, wine vinegar, cracked black pepper, and salt. Bake until crisp, turning the leaves halfway through, about 2 hours.
Directions for soup:
Mix the water and wine in a pitcher. Place the leek, celeriac, and spinach in a deep pan and pour the liquid over the top. Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
Pour the celeriac mixture into a blender food processer and process until smooth, in batches if necessary. Return to the clean pan and season to taste with salt, pepper, and grated nutmeg.
Reheat gently. Serve with the homemade baked kale chips.
If the soup is too thick, thin with a little water or low-fat milk when processing.