Fish & Seafood

Roasted Whole Red Snapper, Healthy and Easy Recipe

“There are as many good fish in the sea as ever came out of it”

Red Snapper found all over the world. This fish has a firm texture and an almost nutty flavor. When buying look for clear, red eyes and bright red skin that fades toward the belly. Make sure the skin is not marked or broken. When you press down on the skin, the flesh should feel firm and not soft. Buy the whole fish to help retain the flavor of the fish. Red snappers are fantastic for roasting and grilling whole.

Red Snapper 2

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 medium whole fish, about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds, cleaned and scaled
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
  • 3 cloves crushed or sliced garlic
  • fresh thyme
  • fresh lemon mint or favorite herbs
  • 1 lemon, sliced
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine

Red Snapper 3

Directions:

In a large baking dish, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and spread around dish. Place fish in dish and coat with remaining tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Insert garlic, lemon, thyme, other herbs to cavity of fish. Pour white wine over the fish.

Bake, uncovered, at 400°F for about 25 minutes or until skin is browned and fish flakes easily.

Red Snapper 4

I am sorry I don’t have any photos of the cooked fish, I deleted them by accident -))
Here are a few photos of something very unique and beautiful – my neighbor drying his garden herbs. He is a doctor by profession, but I think he is truly a great artist -))

Dry herbs

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

Nami | Just One Cookbook
    June 15, 2012 at 4:15 am

Beautiful contrast of blue and red. I love red snapper and well, my family loves all kinds of fish. Roasting is very easy and I love how easy and delicious this recipe is! I love each every one of your photos here. 🙂

Marina
    June 15, 2012 at 5:31 am

I can smell that roasted snapper! Love fish, but we don't have a good variety here. Miss Seattle for fish a lot! Great herb drying photos too.

Couscous & Consciousness
    June 15, 2012 at 9:37 am

In a word – divine. This is my idea of food heaven. Beautiful photos too.

Thyme (Sarah)
    June 15, 2012 at 11:30 am

I love red snapper. I tried cooking a whole red snapper last year. The photos were pretty good but when put that fish on the dinner table…it took some coaxing for my very 'american' family to deal with it. Since then, and MANY Anthony Bourdain documentaries, they laugh at how squemish and protected we are from our food source here in the U.S. I should try it again…yours looks lovely!!

Spicie Foodie
    June 20, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Buying whole fish is always much better than fillets or steaks. I also love preparing it just like yours. There isn't a better way. Gorgeous photos and recipe Yelena:)

NonniKitty
    July 25, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Yummy recipe. Thank you. I got a picture after I cooked it if you'd like it.

melangery
    July 25, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Yes, NonniKitty, I would love to see the picture! Please send me!