Blueberry and Peach Pie
- Ingredients for the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter, very cold and cut in 1/2 inch dice
- 2 tablespoons of ice water
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water (to brush on the top crust)
- For the filling Ingredients:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 cups peaches (cut in quarters or slices - depending on size)
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Place all these ingredients into one large bowl and mix together well. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour and the powdered sugar and salt. Add the cold butter and mix with a pastry cutter or your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add the water, one tablespoon at a time and mix until the dough comes together in a ball.
Flatten into a disk in between your hands and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes (you can make it the day before too).
When ready to bake the pie, preheat the oven to 350F and position a rack in the middle.
Divide the pie into two balls, one slightly larger than the other.
Roll the larger ball to 1/8-inch thickness on a floured work surface. Place in your pie plate and trim the excess all around the pan.
Add the fruit mixture and spread out evenly on the bottom and pressing them down slightly.
Roll the second ball of dough to also 1/8-inch thick and cut 1/4-inch strips from it. Layer them on top of the pie.
Brush with the egg wash and bake for 30-40 minutes.