Few days ago, I’ve got beautiful homegrown, range-free organic eggs as a present from our dear neighbors, and I decided to make an Egg Sandwich.
I truly love this regal and scrumptious sandwich with its medley of hot and cold filling ingredients. You can vary the ingredients – substitute hot bacon or the ell for the Prosciutto for example.
- 4 Ciabatta Rolls
- 2/3 cup homemade mayonnaise or use ready-made
- 20 leaves of basil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp butter
- salt and freshly ground pepper
For the filling:
- 2 oz baby spinach, shredded
- 4 oz Prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 4 oz cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 4 oz Rosenborg Danish Blue, creamy cheese
Using a food processor simply mix the mayonnaise with the basil, garlic and lemon juice. Put the ciabatta rolls on the board and slice them lengthwise with a serrated knife.
Preheat the broiler. Spread the softened butter all over the inside of the ciabatta rolls and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Broil the base and lid until almost golden. Layer all the filling ingredients into the base, in order listed above or in order of your desire. Spread half the mayonnaise/pesto mixture over the spinach layer, and the rest over the eggs. Finish with a layer of Rosenborg Danish Blue creamy cheese.
Place the filled ciabatta rolls bas under the broiler for 4 minutes. Reheat the cut side of the lid for 2 minutes. Replace the lid on the roll base, pressing down with your fingertips.
Free case of Cascal goes to comment #7 by Jaimee.
And for the GIVEAWAY
From my childhood, I remember beverage called Kvass – strong, sometimes sweet, sometimes bitter, it always helps during hot summer day. It was made by fermentation of bread. And we called it Kvassik (diminutive form of Kvass) when it was flavored with fruits or berries.
I was glad to find a soft drink which has similar taste, it is made using natural juices and also fermented.
Friends from Cascal offered to send a case of their new soft-drink to one of my dear reader.
So, here how you could get it:
- Visit Cascal website cheerscascal.com and pick a flavor you like the most.
- By midnight of Friday April 13, 2012 write a comment to this post with your name and favorite Cascal flavor.
- Increase your chance by following me on Facebook, following me on Twitter, or do the same for Cascal (Facebook, Twitter). Please add an extra comment after each Facebook or Twitter entry.