Beets, basil and tomatoes with some red onions and feta cheese, might be my favorite ingredient combination.
- 2-3 fresh, sweet heirloom tomatoes different size and colors
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 small beets, cooked, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. feta cheese
- fresh basil leaves
- fresh mint leaves
- olive oil
- lemon juice, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- sea or kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Cut the large tomatoes into thick slices and the smaller tomatoes into quarters or in half, depending on their size and shape. Layer the tomatoes in the serving platter or a large shallow bowl, and place the beets, and onion slices. Sprinkle with the feta cheese. Tuck the basil and mint leaves in and around the vegetables. Season with salt, freshly ground pepper and garlic.
Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice. Serve immediately. Serve with bread for sopping up the juices.